Friday, October 29, 2004

And I write this for the loveless and for the risks we take...

For those of you reading this, I ask you, do you ever experience those moments of deep reflection where you can't help but think back at specific time spent with someone in particular? Of times that are devoid of complication and uncertainty, where nothing else exists but the one you're with, the conversation (or moment) at hand and the bright intrigue of the unexpected, the excitement of not knowing where this could lead, but the intangible hope that it could be truly amazing. Of evenings spent with someone who'se company is simply and beautifully fulfilling, where you couldn't possibly care less about what you're both doing, where the most seemingly uninteresting event becomes truly memorable, wether it be simply driving around and chatting it up, or laughing over coffee about anything and everything. Those situations when you meet someone who'se mere presence in your life seems to brighten all the things that were drab and monotone, that can make even the most dire situation seem perfectly easy to overcome. Yes indeed, I'm referring to those moments. But what of the realization that you probably won't get the chance to experience those things with that person again? That those moments are lost, ultimately vain and that they now exist only as slow fading memories? Truly such a realization will hit you like a ton of bricks, a sack of doorknobs, a sock full of quarters or a bag of sweet valencia oranges (whatever your poison happens to be).

Now to be fully honest, I began writing that last paragraph with little to no direction, but with the faint utopian propsect of having a revelation of sorts, a means to explain and rationalize these bittersweet reminders. It seems I came up short. That's probably not much of a surprise to anyone, including myself. What I can offer as conclusion however, are these few simplistic thoughts. Despite the bleak outlook that these moments might be meaningless now, there's a definite chance that when they occured they had a world of purpose and that this design was reciprocal.. that reality in itself should be more than enough to comfort ourselves, and we should consider ourselves lucky to have experienced these things and to have the faculties to remember them. The only absolute we possess is what we can perceive in the moment. Okay.. I'm done now, thank you infinitely for tolerating my incoherent ramblings. Now onto more tangible things!

The Perfect Dystopia's Straight, No Chaser album is finally complete in both it's visual and auditory aspects. We are ridiculously proud of how everything turned out, including the artwork and layout, which we wound up designing ourselves. We're sending the package out to Healey Disc Manufacturing either today (friday) or on monday. So expect the record to be sold at HMVs and Music Worlds across the continent in about 15 days.. I don't think I need to specify the extent of my sarcasm in that last phrase.

The .Moneen. show last week turned out to be really enjoyable. I initially went alone, but I wound up meeting a bunch of lovely people I hadn't seen in quite some time. The evening was filled with great sets, particularly the ones by Moneen, Despistado (whom I mentionned in an earlier post.. they get better everytime) and The Junction, the last of which I spent my last 20$ on in order to get a sweet t-shirt and a copy of their EP, which is amazing.

Finally, I'd like to extend a rather large thank you to those of you that came out to support us at the UQO show last friday. We all had an awesome time both on and off stage. I'm of the opinion that it was arguably our best live performance, we'd never given ourselves to a show in such an emotional and physical way as we did at that one, hopefully that energy will be kept up at further shows. Also, we miraculously managed to play the new song almost without mistake, and it seems the reaction to it was quite favorable. Despite the glorious titles pitched last week, it wound up being called Sardanapale, a Paradigm for Catharsis.. go figure!?

So I must be going now, I think I've bled my mind onto this figurative page for long enough today. This week-end is halloween week-end, so I'll leave with a list of stuff you should be doing on such an occasion.

- Going to the movies to catch SAW and NOT The Grudge, which is a horrible movie
- Getting together with buddies to watch Jacob's Ladder, arguably the scariest movie ever made
- Checking out Halloween Hardcore at Babylon on sunday evening.. Buried Inside are playing, they are the greatest.. you owe it to yourself and to them to be at this show
- Driving by kids trick-or-treating and yelling stuff at them.. fun times
- Listening to the new Isis and Jimmy Eat World records because they are amazing..

That is all..

Cheers to everyone.. see you soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well JM, I do believe that we're going through quite similar thigns at this moment, and your post managed to make me smile, so thanks.

Sorry I couldn't make it to your show, but you know, I am 4 hours away... I look forward to hearing you guys again soon.

Have a happy Halloween man!

Anonymous said...

sup bud here's my comment

Anonymous said...

Was the beginning of this entry about anything or anyone in particular or were they simply random thoughts?

JM said...

Although I tried to universalize what it is I was writing about, in all honesty I was most definitely thinking about someone in particular when the idea for the post came to mind, and consequently allot of what I wrote down relates to time spent with this person... Yep.

Anonymous said...

Did you tell her?

Anonymous said...

She should know or wait, maybe not!

JM said...

Wait a minute.. who said anything about "her"?? I was actually referring to the sweet evenings I spent with Max..

No but seriously, did I tell her what exactly? That she was the one I was referring to in said paragraphs? If that's what you mean.. then.. no I did not. Why? I'm not so sure. Maybe I expected her to make the link herself or maybe I just didn't know exactly what my resolve was in writing that, so consequently, I did not want her to know who it was about.. Perhaps I should just tell her... I'm definitely at a loss on that one.